giovedì 27 luglio 2017

PORTRAIT OF A LADY ~ Maud Humphrey (Bogart), Edwardian American Illustrator.



Born on March 30th, 1868 to a well-to-do family in Rochester, New York, Maud Humphrey performed a precocious, deep talent in the field of arts promoted and refined by evening lessons taken starting from the age of twelve.
Already during her adolescence she accepted her first commissions for black and white illustrations for children books and at the age of eighteen she moved to New York where she enrolled the now recently established Art Students League and then went at the Julian Academy in Paris to refine definitely her skill with the paintbrush.

Maud painted dry watercolors and her favorite subjects were babies or children with a lively and joyful expression that immediately conquered the audience and induced great sellers of food and soaps for children to request her work, often seen on postcards and calendars.
In 1898 she married a fashionable surgeon, Dr.Belmont De Forest Bogart, to whom she gave a son and two girls, and it was just this marriage which further promoted her growth in the artistic field, so that for her work she came to earn more than $ 50,000 a year, far more than double the income of her husband: Maud was engaged for illustrating exceptionally popular children books and advertising for Mellins Baby Food for which the little Humphrey Bogart, her only male child and future Hollywood Star, was her favorite model.
She won a competition from Louis Prang and Company for designing Christmas cards and then she began to work for the New York publisher Frederick A. Stokes Company as an illustrator.
At the peak of her career, Maud Humphrey's name became a very familiar one, and soon she turned definitely to a different audience, that of fashion illustrations becoming, at the end of 1900, the artistic director of The Delineator's female magazine, drawing both prints and patterns, and also drawing patterns demanded by the companies selling them.


Maud was very proud of winning this position since The Delineator also gave her the chance to publish articles about her favorite cause, that of the right to the female suffrage.
Let me also point out that this woman remains in History not only for what she has left us as far as artistic repertoire amongst calendars, greeting cards, postcards, fashion magazines and more than twenty books of stories for children [ amongst which there are Sunshine of Little Children (1888); Babes of the Nations (1889); Baby Sweethearts (1890); Bonnie Little People (1890); Ideals of Beauty (1891); Famous Rhymes from Mother Goose (1891); The Light Princess (1893); The Book of Pets (1893); Little Playmates (1894); Old Youngsters (1897); Little Grown-Ups (1897); The Littlest Ones (1898); Little Rosebuds (1898); Sleepy-Time Stories (1899); Gallant Little Patriots (1899); Children of the Revolution (1900); Little Continentals (1900); Little Folk of '76 (1900); Young American Speaker (c. 1900) ] but because in her we may find the change it was living the female figure at the end of the Victorian period, the emancipation which, already starting from the education she received as a young girl to end with her participation in the movement of suffragettes, shows us how it was going to promote women and femininity, rediscovered after being suppressed by 'Victorianism'.

And now, just for you, some images of hers I love most:












the title (and link) of one of the twenty books that she illustrated which you can browse online, download on your PC or even print, if you wish it:

A treasury of stories, jingles and rhymes. With one hundred and forty vignette illustrations in half-tone (1894)

and some of the fanciful images she created for The Delineator since she became a collaborator of its, never forgetting to put children both in covers and in patterns every now and then.










So very glad to have let you meet this extraordinary illustrator
whom I am sure has conquered your hearts too,
I'm thanking you all once again,


see you soon 💕













- immagine 1



Nata il 30 di marzo del 1868 in un'importante famiglia di Rochester, New York, Maud Humphrey diede esibizione di un precoce, marcato talento in ambito artistico promosso ed affinato da lezioni serali prese a partire dall'età di dodici anni.



Già durante la sua adolescenza ella accettò le sue prime commissioni per illustrazioni in bianco e nero per libri per l'infanzia e a diciotto anni si trasferì A New York dove si iscrisse alla Art Students League di recente istituzione e quindi alla Julian Academy di Parigi per affinare definitivamente la propria abilità con il pennello.



- immagine 2 sulla sinistra: Maud ritratta in giovane età - Maud dipingeva acquerelli a secco ed i suoi soggetti preferiti erano bimbi in fasce o fanciulli dall'espressione vivace e gioiosa che conquistarono immediatamente il pubblico ed indussero i venditori di alimenti e di saponi per bambini a richiedere i suoi lavori, visti sovente su cartoline e calendari.

Nel 1898 si sposò con un chirurgo in vista all'epoca, il Dr.Belmont De Forest Bogart, al quale diede un figlio e due fanciulle, e fu proprio questo matrimonio a promuovere ulteriormente la sua crescita, tanto che per il suo lavoro giunse a guadagnare oltre 50.000 dollari l'anno, molto più del doppio del reddito del marito: Maud era impegnata nell'illustrare libri eccezionalmente popolari e nella pubblicità per la Mellins Baby Food per la quale il piccolo Humphrey Bogart, il suo unico bimbo maschio e futuro attore hollywoodiano, era il modello prediletto.

Vinse un concorso indetto dalla Louis Prang and Company per la progettazione di cartoline di Natale per poi cominciare a lavorare per l'editore di New York Frederick A. Stokes Company come illustratrice.

Al culmine della sua carriera, quello di Maud Humphrey divenne un nome decisamente familiare, e presto si rivolse ad un pubblico diverso, quello delle illustrazioni di moda e, sul finire dell'anno 1900, divenne direttore artistico della rivista femminile The Delineatordisegnando sia stampe che modelli, nonché schemi di campione per sartorie richiesti da società che commerciavano cartamodelli. 



- immagine 3 sulla destra: Maud ritratta con il suo piccolo Humphrey - Maud fu decisamente orgogliosa di aver conquistata questa posizione visto che il The Delineator le dava inoltre la possibilità di pubblicare articoli sulla sua causa preferita, ossia il quella del diritto femminile al suffragio. 


Lasciatemi infine sottolineare che questa figura femminile rimane nella storia non solo per ciò che ci ha lasciato quanto a repertorio artistico tra calendari, biglietti augurali, cartoline, riviste di moda e più di venti libri di racconti [ tra cui figurano Sunshine of Little Children (1888); Babes of the Nations (1889); Baby Sweethearts (1890);
Bonnie Little People (1890); Ideals of Beauty (1891); Famous Rhymes from Mother Goose (1891); The Light Princess (1893); The Book of Pets (1893); Little Playmates (1894); Old Youngsters (1897); Little Grown-Ups (1897); The Littlest Ones (1898); Little Rosebuds (1898); Sleepy-Time Stories (1899); Gallant Little Patriots (1899); Children of the Revolution (1900); Little Cntinentals (1900);
Little Folk of '76 (1900); Young American Speaker (c. 1900) ], ma perché in lei ritroviamo il mutamento che stava subendo la figura femminile sul finire del periodo vittoriano, l'emancipazione che, già a partire dall'istruzione che ricevette da fanciulla per finire con il suo partecipare al movimento delle suffragette, ci viene esibita come motivo di promozione della donna e della femminilità, riscoperta dopo essere stata in gran parte soffocata dal 'vittorianesimo'.


Ed ora, per voi, alcune delle sue immagini che più amo:



- immagine 4 


- immagine 5


- immagine 6


- immagine 7


- immagine 8


- immagine 9


- immagine 10


- immagine 11


- immagine 12


- immagine 13



il titolo ( ed il link ) di uno dei venti libri che ella illustrò che potete sfogliare online, scaricare sul vostro pc o stampare, qualora lo desideraste:

A treasury of stories, jingles and rhymes. With one hundred and forty vignette illustrations in half-tone (1894)

ed alcune delle eleganti immagini di cui corredò il The Delineator da quando ne divenne collaboratrice, senza mai dimenticare di inserire di quando in quando fanciulli, sia nelle copertine che nei cartamodelli.



- immagine 14


- immagine 15


- immagine 16


- immagine 17


- immagine 18


- immagine 19


- immagine 20




Lieta di avervi presentata questa straordinaria illustratrice 
che sono certa avrà conquistato anche i vostri cuori, 
torno a ringraziare tutti voi, 

a presto 💕





70 commenti:

  1. I loved this post Daniela. Such adorable illustrations. What a very talented artist Maud Humphreys was and the mother of Humphrey Bogart! She must have been so proud. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Have a wonderful day with hugs from us :)

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Prunella Pepperpot
      Dearest One, your lovely comments are always like bright rays of cheerful sunshine, I'm so grateful to you for gracing my Blog today !

      In the hope you had the best of weeks,
      I'm sending blessings of joy on your weekend,
      with heartfelt gratitude ♡❤♡

      Elimina
  2. Hello, Daniela. What a lovely post. Maud Humphrey was a very talented artist. I loved all these images, the children look adorable. Thanks for sharing. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ eileeninmd
      it is I who want to thank you, Sweetie, and I do it from the bottom of my heart, your nice and kind words of appreciation mean so much to me !

      Wishing you a most beauty-filled weekend,
      sending blessings across the many miles ♥∗✿*✿∗♥

      Elimina
  3. Risposte
    1. @ messymimi
      you're so right, she was gifted with such a great talent, the expression of her children is amazing, isn't it, Dearie ?

      With the deepest gratitude ever,
      I'm sending hugs and love to you,
      may your day be filled with joy and smiles ❥

      Elimina
  4. Beautiful artwork too. She was very talented. I love how she made far more money than her husband. Of course I would. Women have come a very long way.

    Have a fabulous day, Dany. ♥♥♥

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Sandee
      yes, you're right, she was very talented and enterprising, a pushing woman made for success ... and she deserved all what she had !

      Wishing you a most lovely Saturday and Sunday ahead,
      dearest friend of mine,
      I'm sending all my love to you ⊰✽*Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ*✽⊱

      Elimina
  5. Here in the US her prints were very popular during the early 90's when Victorian Style was the rage. I love them! Also though, I love Arthur Elsley's too!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Bernideen
      I knew your love for Arthur John Elsely (I remember a post of mine I shared at your party just about his artworks which was featured, with my deepest joy an delight !) but it's new to me this love of yours for her watercolors, actually I also find them ... irresistibile !

      Always thinking of you with much love and gratitude,
      I'm sending blessings on your way, Adorable Lady *•♥♥•*

      Elimina
  6. Gorgeous images and art! Such a great post, dear friend. Thank you so much for sharing.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Linda
      I'm overjoyed after reading that you loved it, thank you cherished friend !

      Thanking you so much for being so supportive,
      I'm sending hugs, love, smiles and blessings to you ༺♡❀♡༻

      Elimina
  7. I have loved her art since I was a child. One of her pictures hung on the wall of my room when I was a baby!
    I am sure it was cut from a magazine.
    This was a wonderful story and I enjoyed it so much.
    Dear Dany.. I am sending you hugs and love across the ocean.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Annie
      I just love your comments, darling friend, you always seem to make my day a bit brighter, and I'm so, so grateful to you for this, my sweet-hearted Lady, blessed be !

      Wishing you a most beautiful end of your week on your terrific bay,
      I'm sending my dearest love to you ಌ•❤•ಌ

      Elimina
  8. Dear Daniela
    When I see these illustrations I always love it.
    When I do my searches on the
    Pinterest I see many of these and I find them very lovely.
    As we know more about the life of the authors, we are even more enchanted!
    Thank you so much for the beautiful post.
    Big hug and a good weekend.
    :O)

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Kr.Eliane
      I'm so grateful for your English, Dearest Friend of mine, so everybody can understand your loveliness !

      As for Maud Humphrey's images, we cannot do anything but to love them all, that's sure !

      So very pleased and happy to have welcomed you here today
      - it's always such a delight to have you at ~ My little old world ~,
      I'm sending all my love to you,
      with the deepest gratitude ever ✿⊱╮

      Elimina
  9. Dany, these illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, and to think they were created by the mom of my very favorite actor!!! I never knew this.
    Thank you so much for this beautiful post.
    I wish you a wonderful weekend, sweet friend.
    Sending you hugs from across the ocean.
    xo.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Lisa
      your enthusiasm fills my heart with such a gladness and blesses it, thank you Dearie !

      May your weekend too be wonderful,
      filled with joy and wonder,
      loving, precious friend of mine,
      I thank you wholeheartedly ♡ஐ♡

      Elimina
  10. Oh wow I didn't realize that Humphrey Bogart's mother was an artist, I love her work she did the most amazing drawings of children as well as adults but the children are just so sweet, I just love the pictures you shared and so neat to see the book on line that you shared also. Wow it is so amazing the amount of money she made back then. very interesting!
    Wishing you a fabulous and fun weekend!!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Conniecrafter
      forgive my delay with these words of mine, but I'm still far busy and not able to come back to my blog yet, at least still for some days, alas !
      I wanted you to know that it's always such a delight for my heart to read your enthusiasm and your amusement, you're such a bright light, dearest, precious friend of mine, blessed be !

      Sending you love, hugs and smiles,
      may the remainder of your week be as Beautiful as you, Dearie ❥

      Elimina
  11. What adorable illustrations! The history you provided, as usual, was so interesting. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!
    xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Kathleen
      Dearest One, to have a post to share at your so lovely party means such a inner joy to me, belive me, it is I who thank you, and your words of appreciation really bless my day, I'm sincerely grateful to you for this too !!!

      Wishing you a most lovely day, today,
      and so wonderful days to come,
      with sincere love and admiration ༺♡❀♡༻

      Elimina
  12. Ma che splendide delicate immagini, cara Daniela! Davvero un piacere poterle ammirare.
    Grazie anche del graditissimo post.
    Un abbraccio in questa notte stellata, calda e con tanti grilli che cantano. Oramai ci siamo quasi e posso già augurarti buon Agosto!
    Susanna

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Susanna
      mia dolce, spero che anche il tuo agosto sia stato meraviglioso, il mio un po' impegnato, ma è passato, il fatto che continua ad esserlo anche settembre e non riesco a trovare il tempo per far ritorno qui, è questa la cosa che più ... appesantisce i miei giorni !

      Augurandoti tanta gioia e serenità per ciò che rimane di questo splendido mese, prodigo di profumi e di colori, ti abbraccio con tutto il cuore, ringraziandoti come sempre, mi sei molto, molto cara !
      A presto ❀≼♥≽❀

      Elimina
  13. I have always loved the beautiful artwork of Maud Humphrey Bogart, Dany. Thank you for this interesting post and sharing all those glorious photos.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Kim
      it is I who thank you, and I do it from the bottom of my heart, my Lovely Lady !

      Sending blessings on your way,
      ஐ with utmost gratitude ஐ

      Elimina
  14. I love the sweetness of these illustrations. What an artist.
    Amalia
    xo

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Amalia
      Adorable Friend of mine, thank you for your enjoyment and appreciation, you really make my day !

      I pray the remainder of your week is a blessed one,
      thanking you once again, Sweetie ✿⊱╮

      Elimina
  15. Dany, wo beautiful images of Maud. I love all of them. Kisses, my friend.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Mia
      kisses & love to you too, dearest, precious friend, thank you !

      Wishing you a most lovely rest of your week,
      may your fall be blessed with joy and peace ♡❤♡

      Elimina
  16. Oh, sweet friend! These pictures are just precious! As are you! I always feel so much comfort coming here to your site. You are a blessing to me and to so many others. May God bless you, in return. :)

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Cheryl
      I've been missing you so, so much !
      You have to know that I so love your comments, you always seem to make my days a bit brighter, and I'm so grateful to you for this, ours is such a precious friendship to me, you never fail to bless my heart !

      Sending love, hugs and blessings to you,
      may your day be as Beautiful as you,
      my Lovely ಌ❀ಌ

      Elimina
  17. Beautiful post, Dany. I've always loved the "vintage" Victorian illustrations -- especially of children and all those pink cheeks! thank you for sharing Maud Humphrey with us.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Snap
      I'm sincerely pleased by your words of amusement, thank you sweetest friend !

      May your day be filled with smiles and joy ♥♡♥

      Elimina
  18. These illustrations are delightful! Thanks for linking to Blue Monday!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Magical Mystical Teacher
      I'm sincerely grateful to you, to welcome you here is always such a joy to me !

      I hope your week ahead holds much joy,
      sending hugs & love to you ⊰✽*✽⊱

      Elimina
  19. Dear Dany, once again you have introduced us to another fascinating women who has changed our lives without us knowing. Her drawings and illustrations, especially of the beautiful children, are wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing her story.
    Happy Mosaic Monday, see you in September!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Maggie
      Dearest, Adorable One, September is going to its end and I'm not back yet, alas !
      But I begun my countdown, I cannot do without my blog and you ;) !

      Thanking you so, so much for your words of praise,
      I'm sending blessings on your day,
      with sincere love ❥

      Elimina
  20. Hello Daniela, what sweet and innocent images Maud created. They have a timeless appeal from another generation. Thank you for sharing.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Lorrie
      that's what I also see in them all,'timeless appeal', they're so charming, aren't they?!?

      With heartfelt gratitude,
      I'm sending my dearest love to you ♥∗✿*✿∗♥

      Elimina
  21. thank you for featuring this talented artist. though i've absolutely seen her work before i never knew about her and i feel richer knowing about her now. i love her talent and i love that she was a suffragist! you are a wealth of knowledge dear Dany! your many contributions are greatly appreciated! wishing you a lovely wonderful week! much love, xo, Michele

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Michele
      you're far too generous with me, dearest friend, I don't deserve such words of estimation !

      Thanking you from the bottom of my heart
      - it's always such a honor and delight to welcome you here -
      I'm wishing you a most lovely remainder of your week ღ❀ღ

      Elimina
  22. You have the sweetest collection of vintage prints

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Carol
      thank you Dearie !!!

      May your day be filled with joy and wonder,
      thank you once again •♥•♥•♥•

      Elimina
  23. Daniela, What a wonderful collection of images by a woman who did well as an artist in her time. Watercolor is my favorite medium. Loved this post. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Sylvia
      thanks for commenting, darling friend, I'm so glad you enjoyed it !

      May your days to come be blessed with joy ♡❤♡

      Elimina
  24. The illustrations are so very lovely, dear Daniela, and I have enjoyed learning more about Maud Humphrey and her interesting life as an artist and Mother of the famous actor. I do have one of her prints - it is hanging in my laundry room - an illustration of a little girl washing her doll clothes. I have always loved it and now I know the story of who created it. Now I love it even more! Thank you for your beautiful posts. Sending hugs and blessings xo Karen

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Karen
      your visits are always such a blessing to me and your words filled both with enthusiasm and amusement are like a ray of sunshine warming my heart, I have no words which to thank you with for being so special to me !

      In the hope you're enjoying a beautiful September,
      I'm thinking of you with love and gratitude ✿⊱╮

      Elimina
  25. Daniella I love all the images my favorite things to see. Thank you for sharing them. Happy August with love Janice

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Janice
      thank you for visiting and leaving such a delightful comment, be blessed !

      Trusting your September is filled with the deepest joy and peace ever,
      I'm sending hugs and love across the many miles ♥♡♥

      Elimina
  26. I had a schoolgirl crush on Humphrey Bogart when I was in high school--even through he had already passed away. I watched all his movies! Casablanca was my favorite. His mother was a very talented illustrator-- you showed so many examples of her lovely works

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Pat
      beloved friend !
      Casablanca is amongst the films I love most and one of those I absolutely have to watch at least once a year :) !!!

      With utmost gratitude for blessings my heart with your so precious visit,
      I'm wishing you a joyous remainder of your week ༺❀༻

      Elimina
  27. Such a sweet tribute to a bygone time .... innocence and beauty.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Sallie
      dearest friend of mine, that's why I do love them so, our Maud was able to paint on such lovely, pretty faces, an innocence and beauty I've never found depicted in any other vintage image, thank you for appreciating such details !

      Wishing you a peaceful end of your September,
      I'm sending blessings on your day, today ♡ஐ♡

      Elimina
  28. Oh my! I have seen many of her images before and never realized who the artist was or that she was the mother of Humphrey Bogart! I think I've even used one of her prints in a collage or bought it on a greeting card for it is so very familiar! I loved all the images you shared but mostly the wonderful story. As you might expect, I love learning about artists and seeing their work and this is special.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Jeanie
      that's easy to understand, you're an artist yourself, Dearie !
      I'm sincerey grateful to you for gracing my blog today, sweetest friend,
      your lovely comments are like bright rays of cheerful sunshine,
      they always put me in such high spirits, thank you !

      *♥* Hugs *♥*

      Elimina
  29. Risposte
    1. @ Carol
      thanks for popping by ~ My little old world ~, your enthusiasm won my heart, sweet friend !

      Cheers ⊰✽*✽⊱

      Elimina
  30. Her illustrations are so pretty & romantic. I have seen them somewhere but never knew who was behind them. A lovely post, thank you Dany <3

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ riitta k
      it is I who thank you, precious friend, I've been missing you so !

      Wishing you a most lovely remainder of your week ❀≼♥≽❀

      Elimina
  31. She was a lovely artist! Thank you for writing about Maud. :)

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Barbara Chapman
      sweet friend of mine, I thank you wholeheartedly !

      Sending blessings on your way,
      with so much love ❥

      Elimina
  32. Risposte
    1. @ Louca por porcelana
      and I love to have you here with your sweetness and your loveliness, thank you !

      Wishing you a blessed day, dearest friend •♥•♥•♥•

      Elimina
  33. The detail is magical. My favorite is the little girls having a tea party.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Minnie's Milestones
      you're so welcome !
      Maybe this comment of yours had to be posted under the last blog post, the one about James Hayllar's paintings, anyway, I'm so overjoyed by having you here, believe me, and to read your words of appreciation bless my heart !

      Sending my dearest hugs to you ♡❤♡

      Elimina
  34. I have always loved her artwork! The faces of the babes are especially precious!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. @ Jann
      ... and I love more and more welcoming you here, lovely lady !

      May your weekend be blessed with Joy ☆:*•♥♥•*:☆

      Elimina
  35. Dear Daniela,
    This is just lovely and I have a question for you if you have the time to reply. I am a fashion illustrator curating a show of 100 years of fashion illustration. One of the pieces in the collection is a beautiful 1929 art deco illustration of three elegant women in evening gowns. The artist is noted as: Defloret Bogart. I have tried to find this artist and I now believe it is actually Maud Humphrey and the actual name should read as Deforest Bogart, perhaps adapting the name of her husband to sign the art. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thank you kindly Bil Donvoan.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Bil Donovan
      Please, forgive my belated answer, but I was away from my Blog for almost three years to write a book, a history essay on the Habsburgs, but I'm finally back here with you again!
      I'm so, so pleased by your words of appreciation and interest for this post of mine, I heartily thank you!
      Sending blessings of joy to you,
      •♥• Dearest Friend of mine •♥•

      Elimina

I THANK YOU WHOLEHEARTEDLY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND WORDS, SO PRECIOUS TO ME.